hSo after rambling at the crowded streets of Wang Fu Jing, we walked straight to the city square. The Tian'an mean. It was actually not our plan to go there at night, according to plan, we're supposed to go the following day, but hey, we were there already and why not. also I heard and I've seen from TV before how many tourists are attracted to the Flag raising and Retreat that takes place at Tian'an Men everyday. We got there just before the flag has been put down and here's what we saw.
outside the Forbidden City gates, people are waiting for the parade to military towards the square just across the street for the flag retreat ceremony.
the crowd on the other side of the road, waiting for the flag retreat ceremony
i was trying to squeeze in the crowd so at least i'll be able to see the military parade
but they wont let me. nobody was moving a single muscle. sigh.
i'm sorry the picture is too far. if you will be able to zoom it in, you'll see far ahead is the military
marching across the street towards the main square.
the flag is finally down. another day is over.
I kinda missed flag raising and flag retreat ceremonies. When I was a student, we used to do that everyday in school. Raising in the morning, Retreat in the afternoon. Singing our national anthem on both times. I was a girl scout back then and sometimes I was assigned to be one of the 3 persons operating the whole ceremony at the flag pole. I still remember the rules in holding the national flag, how to fold it and "must nots". Othertimes, I was assigned to stay on the street with the red flag showing cars to hault. I actually liked those times, it feels symbolic. People would stop walking or doing something at the moment the flag is raised or retreated. Nowadays, people don't care anymore. Even the schools don't do the ceremony in an everyday basis any longer. They raise the flag on a Monday morning and retreats it on a Friday afternoon. I don't know, I feel that it has lessen citizens patriotism. I know patriotism cannot be only seen during these ceremonies but it is a constant reminder for each individual to pay attention to his/her country. It is a moment of focusing one's attention to one's motherland. I somehow feel bad, kids nowadays have no more respect to the country's national symbol the same way I have when I was a kid. I still do have that feeling in my heart. A sense of patriotism which remains in me.
the gates of the Forbidden City at night
We didn't stay any longer as soon as it got dark. We just had dinner at one of the malls' food chain and bought some snacks to bring at the hotel and then went back to take a longer rest. I still was feeling tired. My eyes felt hurt. I didn't know why, I thought that maybe of air pollution but it didn't look like too dirty or something. But it was really very red and a lil swollen. I think I just needed more rest.
I thought of going back to this place early in the morning to witness the flag raising ceremony but Sham didn't seem to get excited of it. He said "if we will get up early, cause we are tired". Hmph. I would wake up early if I really want to. It's one time I'd be watching that event and it kinda means something to me. I mean not exactly what is there but just the ceremony itself. I liked the idea itself.
Anyway, it was time to relax.
No comments:
Post a Comment