I'm actually not a big fan of giving second chances but at times, I also cannot have the heart not to give one especially when needed. For me, chances come before things happen. Everything is a Big Chance to do things right or wrong. After that is only a consequence. I also apply it to myself.
Yesterday, I was giving final exams to my students and there was one whose score is 6 points less from passing. He was not an a-hole but he missed too many classes. He tried to cope up on the last few weeks though especially when I announced the names of those who are in critical situation of failing or passing. He did well in his final oral test which is a memorized speech. In fairness I have seen the effort exerted. he passed the oral test but the daily class performance, he didn't. He came and asked me if his points 54 points means passed. I said no. Passing score must be at least 60. I know it was just a matter of 6 points so I took the initiative of giving him a chance to pass it because I saw that he was concerned about his grade. Ok, so, I asked him to go to another foreign teacher who will ask him questions (simple conversational) and if he will be able to converse and answer these questions, then I'll give him 6 more points then he'll pass.
He went to the other teacher, brought another student with him who speaks better English than him and then introduced this student as him. The teacher got confused who is who, so he asked me. I discovered that this student whom I just gave a chance to pass, was trying to put another student to answer for him. And since the other teacher is not their regular teacher, he probably thought that he wouldn't notice. Alright, I don't need to elaborate what it means. Yo can tell from my story.
In short he blew his precious chance up. And of course as soon as I discovered it, I called it off. No more chances. What he gets is what he gets. Now they got rattled. He and the other student started explaining which explanation doesn't fit any logic but theirs. Here are the explanations; (1)He said that he was afraid that he will not be able to answer the teacher's questions because his English is not that good so he asked another student to "translate" (first used term) for him. (2)He wanted to let the other student ask questions to the teacher but he cannot say it because his English is not that good. Please take note, he admits (and it is true) that his English is not good. Therefore, it has to be evaluated whether he deserves to pass or no, right? In the first place he already failed. I was just trying to be generous, it's just a matter of 6 points but I cannot give it for "free". He has to work for it as a student. All I require was to answer few questions (one more time, simple conversational questions). What I don't understand (well I actually do, I just don't wanna say that) is that how could they think that one student can answer for another?! Who's being evaluated in the first place? Who is going to receive the grade? How do you explain that? SIGH! This situation cracks my head every semester. It happens all the time. And I am so angry at myself that I let this happen again this semester. I was so careful and strict already ... but then it did happen again. :( Just because of a stupid CHANCE.
I got so upset and I caught myself in a tight situation yesterday. The student started bargaining, asking for another chance, begging, persuading...trying all different ways to get it back. I would be so stupid if I would have fallen into that. I'm pretty strict with my rules but at the same time I am very considerate, but when this is being abused, I end up getting so disappointed. I regret that I even took the initiative of giving him a chance of passing. I regret that I felt sympathy for the student because I have seen that he was concerned of his grade. I like students who care about their grades (although in the first place he didn't 'cause he was often absent). And I regret that I was kind enough. And I do hate myself for putting me into such a situation. I don't like when somebody begs me, I get torn between what my mind or heart would say. I always follow mind but it eats up my heart. I don't like when somebody asks pardon from me. I am so rational that no matter how much my heart will be broken, I would still do what has to be done according to right reasoning. I did what I have to do!
Later I started thinking. My mind became pre-occupied with thoughts. It got all mixed up and my conscience started waking me up. What if I was wrong? What if it was all a misunderstanding? Was my decision Just? I really don't like the feeling. I couldn't let it go. I had to make another decision. I still can take things back before it is too late. I don't want to regret in the end. That would be double disappointment for me. first, I thought of giving him another exam? But how? Yesterday was my last day in school. Telephone exam maybe, but again, that happened last semester already that somebody was answering for allegedly sick student. I am just too smart to recognize the voice. That was something I would never do again. I didn't want the student to carry (in case) an unjust decision from me. But what if he was wrong? I would turn out stupid and that I cannot let happen.
When I got back home, I decided to talk to the other student who was supposed to "translate/answer" for him. He's a pretty honest boy, and a good student. I asked him what he was doing there with him during the test. He said, the other boy wanted to translate for him because he was afraid that he will not be able to understand the other teacher's questions. I asked again, and I told him just to tell me the truth because it could affect his grade too. I had to do that or else I wont get the truth. (I actually could charge him of connivance). So I asked, if he was there to "translate" or to "answer"? He said, to "answer" and he suddenly asked sorry that he agreed to it, he said he knows it is wrong. So actually he was already admitting that they were trying to cheat.But again, I want to make things 100% clear. I don't want any single mistake to take place anymore. I asked him one more time, if he was there to "translate" or to "answer" instead of the other student. And the answer was "Yes teacher, he asked me to answer instead of him". GOTCHA! Problem solved! I just to needed to hear the truth. And so I did. My conscience was cleared. I am happy that I made the right decision of calling the chance off. And I'm happy that I haven't been unjust to him or to myself. And oh, by the way, I kept his messages just in case there'll be anything later... ",)
I failed him. The other boy, I didn't deduct anything from his grade and I thanked him for being honest to me. he tried to explain one more time the situation of the "failing boy" and tried to ask me for another chance. But No I simply cannot now that I know the whole truth that would be impossible. I delicately explained though how things should work. That an exam must be be given to the person who will receive the grade; that it is my job as a teacher to give the right grades to the right students, pass to those who deserves to pass, fail to those who deserves fail. And I added that, if I don't do that, it is me who will be in trouble with the university because I am not doing my job correctly. It was nothing personal, just work. I could actually report them to their department, but I also don't want to give them more trouble. I'll just give them what they deserve. I said I don't want to talk about this anymore because the decision is final.
SIGH! I am clear with myself. Now it's up to them whether how they took it. All I know is I did RIGHT!
Yesterday, I was giving final exams to my students and there was one whose score is 6 points less from passing. He was not an a-hole but he missed too many classes. He tried to cope up on the last few weeks though especially when I announced the names of those who are in critical situation of failing or passing. He did well in his final oral test which is a memorized speech. In fairness I have seen the effort exerted. he passed the oral test but the daily class performance, he didn't. He came and asked me if his points 54 points means passed. I said no. Passing score must be at least 60. I know it was just a matter of 6 points so I took the initiative of giving him a chance to pass it because I saw that he was concerned about his grade. Ok, so, I asked him to go to another foreign teacher who will ask him questions (simple conversational) and if he will be able to converse and answer these questions, then I'll give him 6 more points then he'll pass.
He went to the other teacher, brought another student with him who speaks better English than him and then introduced this student as him. The teacher got confused who is who, so he asked me. I discovered that this student whom I just gave a chance to pass, was trying to put another student to answer for him. And since the other teacher is not their regular teacher, he probably thought that he wouldn't notice. Alright, I don't need to elaborate what it means. Yo can tell from my story.
In short he blew his precious chance up. And of course as soon as I discovered it, I called it off. No more chances. What he gets is what he gets. Now they got rattled. He and the other student started explaining which explanation doesn't fit any logic but theirs. Here are the explanations; (1)He said that he was afraid that he will not be able to answer the teacher's questions because his English is not that good so he asked another student to "translate" (first used term) for him. (2)He wanted to let the other student ask questions to the teacher but he cannot say it because his English is not that good. Please take note, he admits (and it is true) that his English is not good. Therefore, it has to be evaluated whether he deserves to pass or no, right? In the first place he already failed. I was just trying to be generous, it's just a matter of 6 points but I cannot give it for "free". He has to work for it as a student. All I require was to answer few questions (one more time, simple conversational questions). What I don't understand (well I actually do, I just don't wanna say that) is that how could they think that one student can answer for another?! Who's being evaluated in the first place? Who is going to receive the grade? How do you explain that? SIGH! This situation cracks my head every semester. It happens all the time. And I am so angry at myself that I let this happen again this semester. I was so careful and strict already ... but then it did happen again. :( Just because of a stupid CHANCE.
I got so upset and I caught myself in a tight situation yesterday. The student started bargaining, asking for another chance, begging, persuading...trying all different ways to get it back. I would be so stupid if I would have fallen into that. I'm pretty strict with my rules but at the same time I am very considerate, but when this is being abused, I end up getting so disappointed. I regret that I even took the initiative of giving him a chance of passing. I regret that I felt sympathy for the student because I have seen that he was concerned of his grade. I like students who care about their grades (although in the first place he didn't 'cause he was often absent). And I regret that I was kind enough. And I do hate myself for putting me into such a situation. I don't like when somebody begs me, I get torn between what my mind or heart would say. I always follow mind but it eats up my heart. I don't like when somebody asks pardon from me. I am so rational that no matter how much my heart will be broken, I would still do what has to be done according to right reasoning. I did what I have to do!
Later I started thinking. My mind became pre-occupied with thoughts. It got all mixed up and my conscience started waking me up. What if I was wrong? What if it was all a misunderstanding? Was my decision Just? I really don't like the feeling. I couldn't let it go. I had to make another decision. I still can take things back before it is too late. I don't want to regret in the end. That would be double disappointment for me. first, I thought of giving him another exam? But how? Yesterday was my last day in school. Telephone exam maybe, but again, that happened last semester already that somebody was answering for allegedly sick student. I am just too smart to recognize the voice. That was something I would never do again. I didn't want the student to carry (in case) an unjust decision from me. But what if he was wrong? I would turn out stupid and that I cannot let happen.
When I got back home, I decided to talk to the other student who was supposed to "translate/answer" for him. He's a pretty honest boy, and a good student. I asked him what he was doing there with him during the test. He said, the other boy wanted to translate for him because he was afraid that he will not be able to understand the other teacher's questions. I asked again, and I told him just to tell me the truth because it could affect his grade too. I had to do that or else I wont get the truth. (I actually could charge him of connivance). So I asked, if he was there to "translate" or to "answer"? He said, to "answer" and he suddenly asked sorry that he agreed to it, he said he knows it is wrong. So actually he was already admitting that they were trying to cheat.But again, I want to make things 100% clear. I don't want any single mistake to take place anymore. I asked him one more time, if he was there to "translate" or to "answer" instead of the other student. And the answer was "Yes teacher, he asked me to answer instead of him". GOTCHA! Problem solved! I just to needed to hear the truth. And so I did. My conscience was cleared. I am happy that I made the right decision of calling the chance off. And I'm happy that I haven't been unjust to him or to myself. And oh, by the way, I kept his messages just in case there'll be anything later... ",)
I failed him. The other boy, I didn't deduct anything from his grade and I thanked him for being honest to me. he tried to explain one more time the situation of the "failing boy" and tried to ask me for another chance. But No I simply cannot now that I know the whole truth that would be impossible. I delicately explained though how things should work. That an exam must be be given to the person who will receive the grade; that it is my job as a teacher to give the right grades to the right students, pass to those who deserves to pass, fail to those who deserves fail. And I added that, if I don't do that, it is me who will be in trouble with the university because I am not doing my job correctly. It was nothing personal, just work. I could actually report them to their department, but I also don't want to give them more trouble. I'll just give them what they deserve. I said I don't want to talk about this anymore because the decision is final.
SIGH! I am clear with myself. Now it's up to them whether how they took it. All I know is I did RIGHT!
No comments:
Post a Comment