Wednesday, February 8, 2012

No to Hot Beverage

(picture is not mine)

A bit of Information:
In Russia, CHAI POPIOM means to Drink Tea, and not only. It also involves a lot of talking hehe, maybe it's rather proper to say, healthy conversations. It happens more than twice, thrice in a day whether at home or at work. 

I personally is not a big fan of hot drinks especially tea. Since I grew up in a tropical climate, my body naturally got used to craving cold, icy drinks. I drink a lot of unhealthy softdrinks but I don't bother being unhealthy. With the abundance of fruits I eat I think all chemicals from my body are being washed off. I am not a coffee person either. I drink coffee in the morning as an everyday routine but if I wake up one day without it, I don't feel much difference, I can always substitute it with any other beverage. I love chocolate drinks though. I like to drink milk at night and I drink only cold water. 

I moved to China in 2004. China has cold seasons but it didn't change my drinking habit much. I still drank cold water, not iced maybe but still I couldn't drink hot/warm water. I feel thirsty even more. In wintertime I still would drink cold beverages at home during meal. When I met my husband, he started influencing me with hot drinks. Most of the time I would refuse. He'd tell me I'd get sick. My line of defense is that I was born in a hot country so therefore my body is used to drinking cold (hehe, I'm just that stubborn, really). Sometimes, I would drink warm water but a glass of cold water would always follow. One time I got sick and was really weak to refuse anything which was offered to me. I was given a hot tea with honey and lemon. It felt good, really good. I think I even smiled after the first sip. I still remember how pleasant it was. Of course my husband was very happy and satisfied. At long last, he won convincing me the importance of hot tea. 

I started drinking honey-lemon tea with him everyday after work. But later I had a problem. My lower left abdomen started hurting. It felt tight and painful which left me feeling uncomfortable all the while. It continued for sometime, I even had to consult a doctor. I had blood test, urine test, pregnancy test and ultrasound only to find out NOTHING! The doctor said I'm all fine. I shouldn't have done that, I just wasted money. Well, not really a waste 'cause at least my mind was freed from worry. I checked the internet issues similar to what I felt. I found out that many other women feel the same, consulted doctor and also was told that nothing is wrong. They said this kinda pain comes and go. My hubby and I suspected it might be too much of honey-lemon tea. I stopped drinking and the pain gradually went away. It was due to acid from lemon most probably. 

When I came to Russia in 2010, it was summer. Whenever I'd be invited for "chai popiom", I would join but I'd drink something not hot.  But now it's winter and I soooo much appreciate hot tea, both at home and out, all the time. Whenever we go out, it's me who would ask for a tea break. Now that I am feeling really cold, I  do not only understand the importance of drinking hot beverage to restore body's warmth, but I also appreciate the taste and the feeling it brings.

Now I say: Hot Beverage Please. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...