"Semana Santa" means "Holy Week". That is how people in Philippines got used to regard the Lenten Season. The term was gotten during the Spanish era.
As I have mentioned in my last post, I might be busy for the Holy Week, indeed. I must admit, I haven't been practicing my religion for the last 7 years I was in China. If you know about China, you don't need to wonder why . I also don't want to develop the topic. Not practicing religion however, does not mean I stopped communicating with God. It was rather personal, between Him and me.
Today is Easter Sunday, but I don't think this post is too late. After all this is all the reason why there is Easter.
The Passion of Christ
(not complete)
The Procession of Saints and the Devotees
The Laymen
You probably have noticed people walking barefeet above. People do that as a kind of sacrifice. As a sign of penance and repentance. It is being one with Jesus and His sufferings. It is done on Good Friday procession after Christ had dies in the cross.
I know this might create an argument among different believers. Some say it's unhealthy, others might say it doesn't make sense or it is not the way (not the only way, in fact). But my post does not aim any argument or something like that. People have different beliefs and for me what is important is the "cause" of what they are doing. If these people feel good by these traditions, it good that they do. It is their manifestation of faith and love to Jesus and God. And I am happy to see people with faith in no matter way they manifest it.
The Angels
Holy week is the hottest times in Philippines. Churches are crowded. People from all ages, from all walks of life can be seen around. Fans are necessary to bring that is why outside the church, you will find people selling them. Balloons are to bribe the kids not to get bored and stop being naughty. Candles are for those who want to lit for a special prayer.
The Church and Devotees
And finally, Easter Sunday comes. Time to rejoice! One thing for sure beaches are fully packed. Family, friends, class reunions will be flourishing the shores and ocean/sea today.
I'm not going to be one of them, not today. I hate crowded beaches. I'm gonna do it when the beach is all mine hehe. For the meantime, I'll be busy with another activity :)
HAPPY EASTER Everyone!!!





I love your thoughts on "not the only way." People can get so impassioned arguing about it - forgetting what's important is what unites us, not what sets us apart. The picture of the church is beautiful! Happy Easter!!
ReplyDeleteI love looking at your pictures - they are so awesome!
ReplyDeletebuona Pasqua e ...bellissimi i volti di questi angeli
ReplyDeletefrancesca
Happy Easter : ) Your pictures reflect the easter atmosphere very well : )
ReplyDeleteI hope your Easter was happy! I think that sometmes people like to suffer because it concentrates their mind on spiritual things not their own happiness and pleasure. There is such a long tradition of it. The Easter celebrations in Philippines look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know about that suffering, that's a martyr's thing.
DeleteMy Easter was very happy, it was a very good day. Everyone around me seem to have very positive energy :) Thanks.