Saturday, September 1, 2012

Bolgar Architectural-Archaeological Complex

I love traveling to historical places. It always makes me feel rewarded no matter what hardship I encounter while traveling to those places. One of the oldest towns I've visited is Bolgar. 

The Bolgar architectural-archaeological complex consists of Bolgar site of ancient settlement in 14th to 15th century. In the latter half of the 14 - the early 15 century, the Bolgar state was repeatedly ruined by the Golden Horde khans, Russian princes and river-pirates. The Bolgar city was finally destroyed and since that time has never appeared in history and been a sacred place for orthodox Muslim pilgrims.
Here are the remains of monumental brick-stone structures of the latter 13-14 centuries left.
The Complex consisting of  Khan tomb, Annunciation Church, Big Minaret of Cathedral Mosque and the remains of Cathedral Mosque. 
There was some construction going on at that time. They were repainting and saving roofs which are falling apart to keep the architecture's forms.
It is evident that Muslims and Orthodox Christians co-existed in a place without unnecessary conflicts. The church and the mosque built side by side. People simply go to the same area to pray just they entered different doors. Isn't it nice that way? I call it The Harmony of Religions.
Khan's tomb 
 Northern Mausoleum
The remains of the Great Mosque
another Khan's Tomb
the Black Chamber
 the Khan's bath
 White and Greek Chambers

At present more than a hundred remains of the ancient structures are known. The complex is still active and just recently there were more interesting things discovered. A full skeleton of a known to be a princess together with her jewelries was found. President Putin visited the area just a week ago to witness new findings.

We traveled at the place last year and we're supposed to go yesterday for update but bad weather didn't permit us. I promise to post pictures and narrate about it as soon as we get a chance to re-visit the place. As for now, I'll fill you in with the rest of activities we did at the place. 

9 comments:

  1. I also love history-filled trips. I've never heard about this town before. It's fascinating that the structures are so well preserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the Republic of Tatarstan, 2hours by meteor thru Volga river from the capital city of Kazan.

      Delete
  2. I like that 2nd picture! I love seeing architectural beauties as well : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, so interesting and quite inspiring that Christian and Muslim lived togehter. I looked up the location and it is in Tartastan. Oh, so many places in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pics, thanks for sharing. I'd always wanted to travel to such places and really gain an understanding and feel for history as I've only read about.

    Church and mosque built along side each other, very interesting fact indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this makes me want to travel so much!! beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhhh, I so hope that I'm able to travel a lot more next year. I want to experience, learn, and see. ;] Thanks for sharing such architecture and information with us!

    Kimberly
    KIMBERLYLUXE.COM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos.
    Great blog post.
    xx:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! I love visiting historical places too. And yes, religions can get along just fine if they are tolerant of difference!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...