I asked myself if I'm ready for the real cold ahead. I see fur coats, down jackets, warmers, beanies, gloves, scarves, boots and all other winter goods all around.
I have winter "gadgets" I call them gadgets by the way 😊. But I've already worn them last year. My down coat is 2 years old and my boots are a year old.
It's not that I'm being capricious but no matter how good quality your clothes are, harsh winter can really olden them fast. My boots for example are just a year old but it obviously has served me well. It looks worn out. I mean I still like them but they look a bit more soggy now. And my coat, it for sure feels thinner and less warmer. It still looks good, no scratches, nothing. It simply feels less warmer. I feel bad buying a new one again and I feel worse keeping the old one in the closet just to take space. I like clothes and stuff in general but I dislike it when they take too much space which means I probaby have more than enough already. Sometimes it maybe really pays off to buy one quite expensive fur coat which will last forever. But the thing is... for some reasons, I don't like them. I see them a lot in winter. Russian women in fur coats seem to symbolize Russian winter and Russian women. It has been always a part of their culture. I know that very often they are critized for that. That they are wild, or for reasons like it's unethical to kill animals for fur. Yes maybe it is, but you cannot just take something away from someone's old ways which has been running through many generations. Like I said it is part of their culture. Maybe it'll change in time... no one knows for a fact. Plus I personally don't like criticising people for such reason. I have met really good, educated Russians who have big hearts and are very kind to animals in fact, but they love fur coats 😊.
Anyway, back to my question, am I ready for the real cold? I guess not yet. Are you?
No- not at all! I have had the same coat- an expensive, but simple down black coat. Still warm and functional, but can't stand the thought of looking at it yet. Same with my boots- dread getting them out. Have wanted to look at new things, but so not ready!
ReplyDeleteI've never had a fur coat, but I've had fur ear muffs and fur-lined mitts. Nothing is warmer than fur.
ReplyDeleteI'm all for the warmth of fake fur -- better for the animals, still cozy. But my own coat is just a plain old warm wool one (though after last year, I'm thinking about getting one of those down coats!)
ReplyDeleteI don't even want to think about winter, but we did actually have snow on Halloween!
I'm just not a fur person, but I am ready for the cold. We've gotten a couple days of snow, so my boots and (fake) fur-lined clogs are getting some use. I try to clean my closet once a year - if I haven't worn it, I donate it to a charity thrift shop. Some of my jeans and yoga pants are years old but still fine, just softer with age. (Maybe like me?)
ReplyDeleteYes, I am ready for the winter. We don't get so much snow and when it falls it doesn't stay that long compared to the rest of Canada. I have a faux winter coat that I can only wear when it doesn't rain and it is nice and warm protecting me from the wind too when I do wear it. I have nothing against women in Russia who wear fur. It gets very cold there and they need to keep warm.
ReplyDeleteI prefer fur on animals but I'm not rabid about it. Word-play intended. Am I ready for winter? Nope. But as a Canadian, I will embrace it.
ReplyDeleteI have only had one fur coat in my 67 years of living and I bought it at a thrift store and that was because I lived in Massachusetts for a year. So, I have to say if I lived in Russia, I would have a fur coat and justify it by buying a used one. Meanwhile, here in Portland, Oregon I don't even have a heavy coat; just jackets.
ReplyDelete