Honestly, I don't want to believe in bad days but sometimes some things are just so extreme that you'd just utter ... today's a bad day. Sigh 😦
I felt tired at work today but after hearing my hub's account on an accident he witnessed on the road today, I felt mentally, emotionally and even more physically exhausted. I felt drained understanding things, my heart trembled with anger, bleed with frustration weighing the situation. I ended up feeling desperate and so unjust. This isn't fair. This isn't good. This shouldn't be happenning. I don't want to believe in this.
He was walking at the CITY CENTRE near the big ballet theatre, orchestral concert halls, the city hall and the federal security bureau. It is the Freedom square where the old statue of Lenin is standing. In short it is in the Heart of the city, the Face of the city. This is the place where you'd feel the safest at any time of the day. You know that no one will try to do anything unruly or disobey the law for it is the most watched place. For 2 years at least I believed in it... until today.
At one of the CROSSINGS, someone just got hit by a car.
So my husband's walking aling the road and he saw 3 people were crossing the road (on the pedestrian lane). He heard a car coming up with a speeding up sound from the motors of the car. (Please excuse how I'm describing this car's motion, perhaps I'm ignorant in some terms, I don't have a car, I don't drive and am not planning to). And suddenly BOOOOM! A flying body, a loud screeeetch and shock. He said he even looked away because he couldn't believe his eyes like it's from the movies. It cannot be happening for real. But then very fast he looked back and only then he felt his heart started pounding seeing the girl at the middle of the road shaking (maybe shaking is not the right term) She probably was already unconscious, maybe it was just her body's reaction. Then the shaking stopped and she was still. The driver came out shouting like "Why the f*ck did you walk!?" First thing that came out of my hub's mind is to come and hit him right in his face for being such an asshole. For Christ's sake he just hit a Person, a freaking Living Person. But then he saw him walked to and fro with his hands on his head. He was as well in shock. It was just his initial reaction. In just 7 minutes police, ambulance were all there, like I've said, it is the most watched area, not to mention cameras all over.
This incident scared the hell out of me. I probably will be shaking on my knees the next time I go out and cross the road. To be honest I already have phobia on the road since China (we used to live there before moving here). I thought that when I come, I'll lose it. No, I definitely did not and probably will never. Two years ago, on the exact pedestrian lane, we were shouted at by a driver. We were standing on the pavement, waiting for cars to go so we can cross. The driver got angry at us because he didn't know if we wanted to cross or not, because we're standing towards the pedestrian lane. That time, we were still behaving like we used to because in China we usually wait till all close approaching cars pass before we cross safely. Here, (and probably in all other countries) if you stand on the lane it means you're crossing, logically so the driver simply got confused of what we were doing. This is one thing if the driver doesn't want to be fined for not letting a pedestrian go. But the other case is when a driver is trying to make it before you could pass. And this exactly was the case in this afternoon's accident. You know, I don't even want to call it an accident. Accidents are things which happen despite of precaution. But where was the precaution in this case? He knew he was approaching a pedestrian lane, he saw before this girl there were already 2 people crossing. The fact that there were people on the lane, he should just stop until the passed. Why on earth would an adequate person speed up when approaching a PEDESTRIAN LANE???!!! Can you imagine that he sped up and gave all this force to the girl he hit? This is insane. My brain still refuse to believe.
I actually feel emotional about this because it might as well happen to me or to anyone I love. Everyday for 2 years I am crossing this small road with a pedestrian lane and I had to wait for 3-8 minutes before I could cross safely. I make sure the next car coming is far enough to reach me while crossing. And you know what, everytime I cross, I ran because as soon as I walk, I see cars speeding up. It was always a question for me why instead of slowing down, they're speeding up? Today the incident unlocked this mystery for me. They are trying to cut before you. Unbelievable! 😢 My colleagues one time noticed that I was waiting for a long time before I cross. I told them I'm afraid to cross when there's too many cars. They told me to simply start walking and they'll stop. That the logic is, if you go, they'd stop. If they don't see you going, they'd go themselves. I tried it few times and it somehow worked, it's like "I'm more brave than your car, so give way to me". I think I was just lucky during those times. What happened today was an example of such logic. "You see me going, so stop". And what happened was they both thought that the other would stop. Such a tragedy of nature.
It so heartbreaking that a person could just lose her life in a split second caused by idiocrasy of somebody. I don't feel good calling people bad names but in this case the driver was an idiot. And he paid for his idiocrasy. It'll serve him a lesson of course, a lesson learned the hard way. And for the girl, what was it for? She was crossing in the right place. That's what I always keep in mind and tell my husband whenever we're on the road that no matter how far the pedestrian lane is, we should only cross on it, that no matter what happens, we should be in the right side. It is so unfair. The most tragic thing is, if you think about the driver, he probably has his own family, he probably is working for them, to feed them, to finance his kids education. He might even have a daughter like this girl he hit today. He'll end up in prison to justify the girl's unfortunate fate, and then what? His family suffers then what? The victim's family ends up happy? I don't think so. SIGH. No one is triumphant in this situation. I still don't know if the girl survived. I feel bad that I'm talking about this and it doesn't change what had happened or help solve the problem. Things are so unfair sometimes. My heart still aches even after I've confided.
P.S.
I want to add that not all Russians are like this driver today. I personally know many adequate people who don't behave the same. But I don't want to cover up for many A-holes on the road. I must admit that they exist. There are many of them and they are my constant irritants.
I'm so sorry to hear about this frightening accident. I hope you feel
ReplyDeleteBetter about it soon.
I do, thanks. I keep hoping that all those involved are somehow able to handle it.
DeleteThat is so sad, sad for the young girl and her family, and the one who hit her. His life will never be the same because of all the guilt he will feel.
ReplyDeleteWe have that law where I live, took that cars must stop for pedestrians, but I think it is still important to be very careful. I step out but then wait to certain the car is going to actually stop.
I hope today is a better one for you!
Thanks I feel better though tge incident stays as a warning to me - to be more watchful on the road.
DeleteWhat a terrible thing for the girl, the driver, your husband and for you. Accidents can happen ANYwhere and it's almost always because someone isn't paying attention, I think.
ReplyDeleteI hope this day is much better for all concerned.
hugs to you, bj
Thank you.
DeleteIt's always hardest to wrap our minds around accidents that happen in spite of people doing things the way they're supposed to do them... especially if it also happens to be the same way WE do them. We want to believe we're safe from harm when we follow the rules, and the unfairness of tragedy striking anyway is hard to take. In some cases, we can say that person ran out into the street without looking, putting the burden of blame on that person's shoulders. But in this case? It's just senseless. Preventable, senseless, and tragic. I don't blame you for being shaken.
ReplyDeleteSorry to say, but I think drivers like this live in every country of the world. They think they "own" the roads, and pedestrians and bicyclists better beware.
It's just sad how careless drivers would selfishly think about how "great" their feeling is to have "owned" the road not considering others even their own loved ones.
Deletewhat a worrying day you had. Take care. Best wishes from Carole's Chatter
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, how awful. That poor girl...her family. I can't imagine the grief they are experiencing. And so many other people who will never be the same because of this tragedy.
ReplyDeleteIndeed life for those who were direcly involved and greatly affected will never be the same. How sad that a long term change could just take place in a split second incident.
DeleteThis is unbearably sad -- and very frightening for all of us who cross streets. I noticed lots of careless walking when I worked on the campus -- especially hard to see those crossing when the morning sun was streaming through your windshield. And I have had close-to-personal experience with this, as my Rick has been hit by a car when riding his bike. All OK in the end, but it could have been very different. Your post is a good reminder to all of us to be very careful -- whether we are walking, riding or driving.
ReplyDeleteYou are right,we all have to be more cautious. I know that it's not always the driver's fault. Some pedestrians are sometimes not careful with where and when they are crossing.
DeleteVery frightening and awful. Yes, in just one tiny second, everything can change. A good reminder to drive carefully and cross the road carefully too.
ReplyDelete