This boy made the girls cry in the class today.
I have this activity in class in which students must bring some pictures which they find special, amusing, unusual or something that is dear to them. It's one way to practice their spoken English, and another way to build their confidence. They rarely have chances to speak one by one in front of the big class especially speaking a foreign language. Most of them get very nervous. But in the end they feel much better having accomplished something.
This boy, when it was his turn to speak didn't have any picture on his hands. He stepped up to the platform and took something from the inside pocket of his jacket. It was the picture. The class laughed. I didn't react. I thought he was just trying to be cool and funny. He was prepared and spontaneously narrated about the picture he was presenting. He introduced people in the picture. They were his father who was 27 years old then, his mother who was 26 and him when he was 3. He asked the class to pay attention at the hands of his parents. "They're dry and don't look good", he said. It is because of their hard work being fishermen", he continued. He said that it is the only picture he has with his mother because she always refuse to take pictures for she thinks she's very ugly. "But for me, he uttered, "she's always lovely". And his father for him is a handsome man. There were some writings on the wall in the picture. He said those are sentences his mom used to read for him until he learns how to read them himself. He said they never neglected him, took care of him and pour him out with reminders that he should make a good future. They'd always tell him to study hard so he can have a good job which will give him a better life. From the story of his childhood, "you maybe think it's joyful", he said. "But it is actually sad because my mother died, she drowned". "Now it's only my father and me but we try to live our lives taking care of each other, keeping my mother's memory in our hearts". "I study hard because I want her to be happy for me". "Now I have a mobile phone, as well as a digital camera but I cannot make a picture of her or of us together for she is gone". "That is why I treasure this one and only picture, I always bring this wherever I go because I want my mom to be close to me and watch over me from there" (pointing up). "And teacher, if I may please ask you, allow me not to post this picture on the board because I never leave this picture anywhere I always put it close to my heart for only this way we can be together". Looking at me, I nodded and he slid the picture back to the inside pocket of his jacket then went back to his seat very quietly.
That's the most I can remember from his story.
A LOUD APPLAUSE was given to him by the whole class. I was speechless for a moment too. I didn't expect anything like this. I waited till the applause was over and still I couldn't say anything. I don't know what to say at that exact moment. I saw some girls wiping tears from their eyes trying to hide how they were moved they do it with smiles and soft laughs. I must admit I felt something blocking my throat too but I cannot make it obvious though or else the whole class atmosphere will be dramatic, there was already a big silence while he was narrating his story. I took a deep breath and called the name of the next student to recite.
I don't know what to feel for this boy. I don't want to feel sorry 'cause he doesn't seem to want it. He's facing it bravely and optimistically. I am happy that a young boy like him amidst life's adversaries values life and what it has left for him. I like people like that. I never pay much attention to him before. But he's never been naughty in class. This picture presentation is one of the activities I like the most. It gives me a closer chance to know my students better personally and academically.
I will have many more of these stories in my other blog. If you want to know please follow this link http://classlyn.blogspot.com . The latest activities are not yet there because they are ongoing this week and the week ahead. I'll be posting very soon. Thanks for taking part. (:
That was very brave of him & very sweet. :)
ReplyDeleteCompassion - A very nice post -
ReplyDelete