Monday, December 21, 2009

Alert Level 4

FACTS GATHERED FROM THE NEWS: 

Mayon last erupted in 2006, when about 30,000 people were moved. Another eruption in 1993 killed 79 people.

The first recorded eruption was in 1616 but the most destructive came in 1814, killing more than 1,200 people and burying a town in volcanic mud. The ruins of the church in Cagsawa have become an iconic tourist spot.









Scientists raised the alert level for the Mayon volcano after 453 volcanic earthquakes were detected in a five-hour span.
The five-step warning system was raised to level four, meaning a hazardous eruption "is possible within days." Level five is when a major eruption has begun.








A farmer prepares to plant rice on a farm near the restive Mayon volcano in Guinobatan township, Albay province, 500 kilometers southeast of Manila, Philippines, Sunday, Dec. 20, 2009. Residents are now prevented from venturing into the 8-kilometer-danger zone after government volcanollogists raised the five-level alert of Mayon volcano to 4 following increasing activity Sunday. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)




The sooner the Christmas is, the more dangerous Mayon situation is becoming. To be honest, I feel so torn between feeling exited how it would be to see a real "firework" like an explosion from a volcano. Hearing it rumble and feeling the tremble while watching the fire coming out on its mouth. It is of course a fascinating view. No one could say it isn't beautiful. But when beauty becomes destructive, then the fascination is replaced with fear. It just looks picturesque if you are on a safe ground but the risk of being close is high and unfathomable. I've heard from a Japanese group of photographers before how they were trying to capture its beauty of the moment as it explodes. Unfortunately some died trying to make their best shots. 


I've been hearing from the news that farmers were trying to creep back to check their animals and plants. It is of course very stubborn from our point. But somehow I understand what they were trying to do. They're just trying to save as much as they want. These are the only sources of their living, and children's' education maybe. As I saw this picture of a farmer preparing to plant rice. I feel bad that they'll not be able to expect any harvest in the coming season. I know, my uncle is a farmer and I know how it is when crops are destroyed. How much money they'd gonna get for each hectare of rice? How many days, months will they live from that expected harvest? How many students are waiting for these harvests to pay for their school fees?


Sigh! Only if their source of living could be spared. I just wish that this will be over soon. It's getting worse and I hope it's gonna get to the worst. And I pray that after this, there'll be some left for the people living nearby to continue their lives ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...