Sunday, January 17, 2010

Russki Yazik

...it means Russian Language.

I'm working on my 5th language. I basically can speak (1)Bicol which is the language I grew up speaking. (2)Filipino(colloquially known as Tagalog) which I learned from school as our national language. I could have included Spanish if I speak more, but I only know a little since Filipino language has a lot of words taken from Spanish (due to colonization) (3)Enlglish is spoken in Philippines as much as Filipino. (4)Mandarin which I learned from experience and practical knowledge within my 6 years of living in China. (5)Russkii (Russian) which I started learning few days ago. I actually started with Cyrillic 2 years ago but then I got lazy and I didn't feel much that I need to already so...I haven't learned till now :) My bf is Russian but we speak English to each other. That is why probably I didn't feel the rush of learning his language. We learn from time to time but mostly stupid words...you know how it works right? He learns Filipino slowly as well.

It's winter break and the university where we are teaching has a very long break. We started on December 24th and we'll be back only on March 15th. How does that sound to you? Boring! Winter is not the best time to travel, I don't like travelling with heavy stuffs. It is also not the best time for a camp, unlike in summer when students and even parents feel like doing something like enrolling for a short language course. So now, we're spending much time on the internet, sometimes we try to find places and make pictures, once in awhile visit friends from other city and that's all. It still doesn't feel productive. I wanna accomplish something at the end of this vacation. And besides, we are planning to go to Russia soon so I think it'll be better to speak the language a bit at least. His family tries to speak in English with me and I think it'd be nicer if I try to reach out as well. We can always meet halfway, a bit of Russian and a bit of English could make a pretty good conversation.

It's difficult and easy at the same time. It's difficult because of the pronunciation, but i think i'll be able to work it out soon. What is more difficult is the "gender of words". Imagine putting gender on things. How do you know if for example TV is a "he" or a "she"? haha that would be my biggest challenge. It is easy for other hand 'cause there many words which is of  Latin origin so the sound gives me a clue.

So, how am I learning? uhm, I am using the coursebook which we bought in Philippines when we went to visit in 2008. It's kinda helpful. I try to write a journal in Russian language. Not only how the language sound but I am using Cyrillic also. More difficult, yes, but i'll be shooting two birds in a nest so I think I'm fine with it. I actually think that soon I'll be able to read words even before knowing its meaning. At the end of every entry I'll be asking Sham to check my work whether it's possible to understand or no. Like today, He translated exactly how i wrote the words and sentences, it sounded very funny though. My grammar is bad (as for a primary learner) but the thought was there...so I'm happy I was able to. I don't mind much if I will speak with wrong grammar, it'll be polished later. My target is to be able to express myself and remember words as much as I can.

Hah, I am going to learn the language I promise myself. There is no possibility that I will not 'cause I was even able to learn Mandarin which words are totally from another world. I got two months to go and it's quite a time. I hope next semester I'll be teaching at the same campus where Russian teachers are teaching so I can sit-in and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...