Thursday, February 23, 2012

Men's Day

Best Wishes to Men on Men's Day!

Defender of the Motherland Day (RussianДень защитника Отечества / Dyen' zashitnika Otechestva
The holiday marks the date in 1918 during the Russian Civil War when the first mass draft into the Red Army occurred in Petrograd andMoscow. It was originally known as Red Army Day (RussianДень Красной Армии / Dyen' Krasnoy Armii). In 1949, it was renamed Soviet Army and Navy Day (RussianДень Советской Армии и Военно-Морского флота / Dyen' Sovyetskoy Armii i Voyenno-Morskogo flota). Following the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the holiday was given its current name. -(excerpt from wikipedia)

It evolved into Men's Day in the current days every 23rd of February. Women celebrate the day by giving wishes, greetings and small presents to the men in their lives including father, husband, brothers, sons and colleagues. The fun part is when men are given the liberty to be a "king" whose wishes are their wife's/gf's command :)))). They are allowed to be "boys" given the fact that boys always do naughty things. They are given "off" to their duties like throwing the rubbish, walking the dog, etc. Women tries to please them on this day. It's their day and I think they deserve the treat. Men are not only stand as defenders of the country but the pillars of the society and the home. 

My man's wish is very simple, not a car, not a new gadget, not a fancy dinner, but an authentic Filipino meal. Rice, with "adobo" on the right and "sinigang" on the left :))). And of course a well-deserved present. 


a box of Philippine cigar, personalized with his name carved on the box and on each cigar ribbon says " especially hand rolled for _________________" (his name). 


6 comments:

  1. The fun part is when men are given the liberty to be a "king" whose wishes are their wife's/gf's command

    Agreed.


    Had no idea that today is considered as Men's Day.

    Nice gift @ personalized cigars. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is originally Defender's Day, which is celebrated in Russia and its post Soviet Republics.

      The International Men's Day I guess falls on another date.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Thank You so much, I'm checking Your blog now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, your blog is so inspirational and I love it. I follow you now :) Would you like to follow me back?
    www.adelinaalexander.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you get your authentic meal ;)

    Stumbled upon your blog and wanted to leave a comment! Let's stay connected! I am following your blog now. Please visit mines when you have a chance a follow me too if you like it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!Great blog and really amazing inspirations.It's so great to be able to travel around the world and embrace exotic cultures.Btw, I know what this holiday is since Russia is my homeland too.I'm your new follower!

    DC2NYConfessions Blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...