Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Coco Delight

One thing my Hubby and I always look for whenever we come to visit Philippines is "Buko" (young coconut). For him it's exotic. For me it's medicinal. I never missed fresh coconut juice much until I left them bearing in abundance in my country. They say, you start appreciating things more when they're gone, or in my case unreachable. When I was younger, I just drank it because it's there. This time, I drink it for health and because I missed it a lot. It's a very good medicine for those who's got problems with kidney. 
The best thing about it, is that we don't even need to buy to enjoy one. We visited my college friend whom I haven't seen for years. They got big land just at the back of their house. There is quite a number of fruit bearing trees including a coconut. Her husband was kind enough to get us some.
Obviously, it's my husband's hands scraping the young coconut meat and pouring the coconut juice all the time :) He can't be disturbed savoring "buko". While I indulged myself into eating other food personally prepared by my friend prior to our coming. She's really nice. That one named "binut-ong" is one of my all time favorite. It's a "sticky rice" (it's a different kind of grain which name I can't remember) with coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaf and steamed. I love how it taste. I usually add sugar in it. I regret I didn't make picture of it opened. I guess I got excited eating hehe.
The rest of the day was about chatting and catching up with one another. I'm happy my friends are doing really fine with their lives. They got kids already while I just recently got married. I'm not only a late bloomer (" ,) but also I got myself busy with many other things. 

This is house is for sale. My friend's selling it. They're gonna move out as soon as they got a buyer. I like the place actually. It's pretty cozy. I don't want a very big house. I just want it spacious enough and most important is a yard where I can have a small garden. 

We're planning to have one like this. I've always wanted to even before we got married. Now, we want it so whenever we come to Philippines, we don't need to rent nor stay at my parents'. It'll serve as a vacation house for any of our family in Russia. I also want it close to my family so someone can look after it while we are away. That's a dream, a a plan as for now. It may not happen in the next few years but eventually it will. Wish us Luck :)

P.S.

Health Benefits of Coconut  Milk:


Coconut  Water - "The Water of Life"  



18 comments:

  1. First of all, sorry to hear about your husband's sunburn. I am sure it's uncomfortable.

    I did not know that coconuts were good for kidneys. -- Interesting. Is it just "young ones"? the milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, thanks for coming back. Yes it does treat kidney and urethral stones. Mature ones probably does the same, after all it is still coconut water/juice. I just never get used to drinking it 'cause it doesn't taste as good as young ones. They're more sour and kinda taste like "spoiled juice".

    As for the health benefits of both coconut juice and milk, please refer to the post again, I've added links to it.

    Thanks for asking. I didn't think it could be more informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my blog. I never thought of drinking coconut juice but then you only get it in cans here, in speciality shops.

    It would be lovely to have a vacation house. Good luck with your dream! I've never been to the Philippines but it souunds a really cool place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason why we're making the most of coconut juice while in Philippines is because in Russia we also can just get them in cans or bottles like in your place. I've tried once and it didn't taste the same (obviously :)

      Thanks, it'd be nice of you to visit Philippines someday maybe :)You're Welcome Here.

      Delete
    2. I've heard of the beneficial qualities of coconut juice, but where I am it's also only available in cans. I totally believe it's not the same. Maybe if the weather keeps getting hotter we'll get some coconut trees as well ;)

      Delete
    3. Right, and it might start snowing in Philippines. If so, Global Warming isn't the worst disaster eh?

      Delete
  4. Such an informative post! I love fresh coconut juice, I've had it a few time, but never realized how beneficial it is for kidneys... good to know!! I wish you an amazing trip, it's my dream to go to Philippines too one day :)
    Good luck!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that dream comes true in the near future. If you like beaches and fruits, you're gonna love it here ",)

      Delete
  5. My dream to build house to my little land in island. also very simple with gardening. love coconut Juice so much.. you will get house someday Just always think, you can do it. take your time..ingat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're back to blogging. I LOVE coconut water. I read all about it's health benefits in a newspaper once and it had me hooked. :) I never had fresh coconut water in the Philippines though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love young coconut juice and scraping the 'flesh' off the sides of the fruit. Didn't know they were nutritious too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post made me super hungry! hahaha :) Such breautiful photos :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coconut juice so much, unfortunately we don't have it fresh here in Italy. When I lived in Rio many years ago for some months, I was drinking it every day and I miss it so much. Have couple of them for me too : )))

    ReplyDelete
  10. And thank you for your sweet comment. I was on a business trip so I could leave a comment only now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reach and always try to follow up on those dreams.
    I too love this little house.
    Late bloomers are smart in many ways, you have more time to do what you love.
    Drink a lot of that coconut milk, stay well, good things will happen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...