Sunday, May 20, 2012

In Memory of Him

It has been a not very positive weeks after my last post. My Mom's Aunt passed away and 9 days later, my Grandpa did too.

I didn't know that when I mentioned at my previous post about fruits, that "chico, will always remind me of him" would sound true to true to itself. You see that tree on a red kinda concrete pot behind us in the picture? That's the chico tree I grew up with. The lawn wasn't concrete before, it was ground and there were more plants. 

This is the last photo we have. It was in 2011 when my Husband and I visited him. It was their first and apparently the last time meeting. It was a good day to remember. 
Having grown at my grannies, I have much memory of him. He's really cool. He was a navy and he retired at the same year I was born. My parents told me he  babysitted me and he was the first person to drop me when we both fell in the swing haha, that was fun to imagine. They told me I used to cry for him when he and grandma would argue. He goes to the sea every morning and I always go with him. That's everyday. But I never learned how to swim because I was so comfortable riding my life boat and him dragging it. He was serving in the church as a lay minister and everyday he'd gone to church, I'd go with him most of the times especially on  novena dawn masses before Christmas. When he ran for candidacy in the local government, I was his campaign manager haha, so to speak. I was biking the whole town giving out fliers with his name. He used to help me a lot with my homeworks and aside from that, we had lessons with his own curriculum at home. Oh man, he used to make me memorize all the president's of America and significant people in the world. Everyday there would be a short quiz in math, whew, which was the hardest. Whatever he's doing, I'm always on the watch. He would talk to me about significant happenings in the world. At a very young age, I didn't understand much but I remembered hearing USSR and nuclear. I was telling my husband about those and I really made it a point that we, altogether would meet and talk. I remember hearing those words from him but I never understood what was his personal views on those. So I was thinking, maybe now that I'm a grown up, I will :) 

It is sad that he left us already. But if that's God's will, if that's his time to take the final rest then we, the family have to let go. When my brother last visited him, he was emotional. He said he feels weak already, he feels he's old. 

When I visited, I'm soooo glad I did few weeks before he died. It was a day before I left the province. He told me he feels difficulty in breathing. He's developed pneumonia at old age. He was looking healthy and lively though. He was laughing and happily telling me that he gathered all my pictures when I was a kid, when he was pinning me ribbons when I had honors and other awards in school. He said he put them all in one album because he wanted me to have them. I never thought it was something he had prepared for leaving forever. I thought he just wanted me to bring the album when I go back to Russia. But that day, he couldn't find where he kept them. He told me to just come back and get it. I am definitely going to bring them with me to Russia. It was something he wanted me to have. I felt so sad remembering the day but I felt happy that my last memory of him was his jolly face and lively voice.

Letting go is the hardest part, people say. I realized it is, but if you knew you have done enough, when you knew you tried enough to let the person feel how much you care and love, that would make letting go much easier. 

I am thankful to God for giving me the chance to show him I cared. For waiting for me to have few more moments with my grandpa before He finally took him back. I am thankful my husband and him were able to meet still. That was important for me. I am thankful for having him in my life and I am thankful for giving him a peaceful death. He died at his own home. He was found in the morning with a rosary in his hands, not breathing anymore. I know he is in good hands now. To his loving memory, I offer my prayers.

15 comments:

  1. Quando una persona cara ci lascia, si piorta via un pezzetto di noi!! buona domenica...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. I liked your childhood stories with him. I never met any of my grandparents : ( He must be resting peacefully now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. Despite this very difficult time, it sounds like you have some wonderful, warm memories of your grandpa, and it's good that he and your husband were able to meet. Sending my thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that and I know how important it is to get those last chances with the people we love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the loss of your loved ones. Don't I know the feeling...I lost my dad and grandmother early in childhood, few years apart, and it's tough to accept the death of genuine people. Yes, I hear many speak of having to let go myself. But I don't feel the same. I believe once acceptance arrives, it's honorable to remember and reminisce and share the beauty of those who meant the world, then and now.

    Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for your loss dear. My grandmother recently passed away and she lived with us for the last couple of years. I also had my other grandma pass away that practically raised me. If you need anything feel free to contact me! He is in a better place now!

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. It must be really hard to lose 2 loved ones not too long from each other. Treasure those memories and think of them often as they is looking down at you from heaven. They are in peace now and in a better place. Thank you for sharing your history about your grandpa with us. It makes me appreciate and love the people that still are alive even more.

    xx,
    klee

    ReplyDelete
  8. You poor thing! I hope that they are both in a better place, and truly offer my condolences. I lost four out of my five grandfathers (long story), and I miss them dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh this brought me to tears. I lost my grandad 17 years ago and he was a dad and a mom to me! I am so sorry for your family's loss. Pray for understanding and strength daily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences to you and your family. It must be very hard to lose two family members in such a small gap between each other! I hope you are well! Keep your spirits up and know that they are in a much better place and always keep their memories alive by just thinking of them often. Thank you for sharing your history with us about your grandfather...it just makes me appreciate the people that I love and are still here on earth.

    Just checking you out and want to thank you for being one of my readers for my blogs....I want to let you know that my new domain address is:

    http://kisskissbyklee.blogspot.com/

    Starting New!! STill Under COnstruction!!

    Not just a fitness blog anymore!! :).

    Cheers!!

    xx,
    klee

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heartfelt sympathy!
    Hope there's going to be a better time for you & your family now.

    Xx,
    Saritschka.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry that you lost him. He will live on in your memories, and there are so many good ones you have of him - that is consoling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello psychelyn
    Came over to see how you are and what you have been up to, as I haven't heard from you for a while.So sorry to learn of your bad news.My condolences psychelyn,- I feel so sad for you.:-(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...