I have been posting these murals at my photo blog without narrating any story behind the pictures. I guess the murals' details derived interest from the ones who saw it. So I decided compiling all of them in one post, here, where I can explain what they are all about.
These murals are from an Elementary School fence. It is a project of DepED (Department of Education) in collaboration with the DOT (Department of Tourism). Artistic students are encouraged and given the chance to show off their talents by participating in this mural painting. The murals extends from Elementary Schools to High School and the Police Headquarters fences which are located in the downtown. Each school sends few group of students to exhibit their art on a designated place. Usually the theme is simple. It is a showcase of what the town has.
At the end of the event, high officials of the city, the DepEd and DOT would go around to judge who, or which school has the most beautiful and meaningful mural. The school receives a trophy and the artists receives cash.
I always liked this idea and the event itself. When I was in High School, I remember it was launched to keep the youth away from drug addiction. There were even paintings on the street pavements, which made the whole town one colorful mural hehe.
Mural 1
One blogger friend was asking particularly on this one. Let me start from right. The man and woman in national costume are dancing a folk dance. On the right, the first line (below are our minorities. Different backgrounds of Filipino people. Aetas, Muslims, Chinese, Filipino-Spanish mixed and more.
The second row (above) are the working class, professionals and religious. Doctors, teachers, farmers, priests, lawyers and politicians. The map on the hand is the province's map. It's main product is pili (which I have mentioned in the previous post). Butanding (whale shark) on the other side is a main tourist attraction in the province. Here, let me take you there:
It's a gentle giant. You can swim with it but is discouraged to touch or ride on it.
The rest of the details in the painting is probably self-explanatory. The man and woman wearing national costumes. The flames of knowledge, and more art details.
Mural 2
Footsteps going up success. The map, butanding and the ocean, the people united, modern technology as well is present,government and the church. The small triangle on a string signifies "fiesta"- feast days. Filipinos love feast days hehe. My husband said everyday is a feast day in the Philippines :)
The rest of the murals almost says the same, just in different presentation. If there is anything, a particular detail you would like to know, please let me know, I would be happy to answer you :)
Mural 3
Mural 4
Mural 5
Mural 6
The following below are parts of the painting which I've taken a closer shot.
So what do you say about painting your town like this? It may not fit on other places but in my country it's another thing that beautifies the surroundings, especially in local schools.




Showing some love! thank you for following! This post is sooo amazing, thank you for sharing. I love Murals. So very talented to those who showcase their talent like this...:). I would love to see this in the city I live in...everyone is so desperate and sad now, see this might lift their spirts and act like a decent human being.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely following back!!
xx,
klee
mrslee-flabtofab.blogspot.com
Those colors are amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love mural art (in NYC some artists specialize on sidewalk or wall art exclusively) so I'm all for painting the towns like that! Sounds like a really wonderful project for school kids, I think there should be more projects like that!
ReplyDeleteWow. These are absolutely amazing! I love the bright vibrant colors!
ReplyDeleteLovely murals, and nice to learn about the story behind each picture
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately we don't have such beautiful murals in Luxembourg. I love your photos. The murals are so beautiful. True cultural treasures of art and history.
ReplyDeleteWow, these kids have talent, I like all of them, and the stories they tell. Have you swam with that giant? : )
ReplyDeleteActually I haven't. It may sound ironic I was born in an island but I'm afraid of deep waters. Ugh.
DeleteNice they still keep working with it. when I was in college. we done a huge for School Project.
ReplyDeletethese are absolutely such interesting murals.
ReplyDeletei love mural art.
thanks so much for the follow. following your lovely blog right back!
have a great week ahead!
The fact these murals are from an elementary fence, extending to other profound places of life are even more awesome. And makes them even more distinguished. I hadn't noticed the multi-ethnicity found in Mural 1, beforehand. Thanks for offering commentary.
ReplyDeleteAgain, good stuff.
the mural looks awesome! such details!
ReplyDeleteWow, I really like these murals! I agree, it's so beautiful and a unique way to embrace a town! I don't have anything like it around where I live, but I've seen a few in Europe... but these are especially stunning! Thank you so much for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com
Gorgeous murals!Would definitely dress up and brighten any town!So glad you shared it here,so we can all embrace the culture.
ReplyDeleteDC2NYConfessions Blog
I love murals! I find them so incredibly fascinating...
ReplyDeleteI love them and my area has quite a few. Nothing as vivid as this. Beautiful shots!
ReplyDeleteThose are so cool! I love the 5th mural the best!
ReplyDeleteDaydream Frenzy
Swimsuit Giftcard Giveaway
I finally made it to this blog,and I'm so glad I did.What an
ReplyDeleteinspirational idea for young people to create art in a very simplistic but very beautiful way.I also did not notice the ethnic detail in the first mural.Thankyou!
all these murals are stunning! my favourite ones are the 1st, 5th and 6th murals x
ReplyDeleteChi-Chi (LDN,UK)
www.thatgoodgirlchi.blogspot.com
I think these look awesome!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we could follow each other ? (:
Strange Obsessions
buona giornata...ciao
ReplyDelete