Thursday, May 3, 2012

Summer Health Abundance

In the Philippines, there are only summer and rainy days. In other words, during summer there is such an abundance of  food, fruits, sunshine and fun. It is also harvest time for rice growers. Rainy days are difficult days. Crops usually don't grow due to flooded grounds. Some trees won't bear fruits on those days. 

I was here in October to December last year. It was a rainy and typhoon season. Life seemed to be more difficult. This summer is my first after 7 years. I was pretty overwhelmed with all abundance I see around. It was always like that, I just never noticed much since it was no difference to me when I was living here.

I must admit I made the most of my summer. I have indulged myself into eating all different kinds of homegrown fruit trees. I have been swimming in the Pacific ocean and have been watching sunsets at Baywalk facing South China sea. 

Here is the showcase of fruits I have been consuming for the past 2 and a half months :)
Have you actually seen where banana fruit comes from? It comes from its heart. See that red one? We call it "banana heart". If you cut it open you will see baby bananas growing. And once it's grown enough, the rest of the heart can be cooked as a vegetable with coconut milk. It actually tastes good. There is much preparation though. You have to slice it thinly and squeeze the "blood" (sticky substance) out of it. Then cook it in coconut milk. It is better added with some anchovy.

Banana comes in different types. The most common are the ones sold in the markets but there are many others. Some of them can be fried, which we call "banana-Q". Some harder bananas have seeds. Those type you can grate and drop in small amounts like a ball into a boiling coconut milk with sugar, then it becomes another heavy snack.
What I learned when I was growing up is that papaya can decrease ones libido. That is why it is always present in mass offerings, always seen on monasteries and convents. With scientific basis or no, let us find out from this article: 


Ever heard of a fruit that cures cancer? Here, learn about Guyabano (soursop). To be honest before coming to Philippines last March, it was already in mind to find and eat lots of this fruit. My scariest dream is to be diagnosed with cancer (God forbid, I beg You Lord). My family has a history of cancer. My grandfather died of cancer of the gland, my aunt from breast cancer, my 26 year old cousin from ovarian cancer. Probably that justifies my fear.

Guyabano is said to kill cancer cells 10 000 times stronger than chemotherapy. I am so thankful that we have 2 guyabano trees on our own backyard. Fruits grow slow though. I was only able to get 2 and bought others from the market. It's not very cheap to my surprise. Nobody much pays attention at them before. I remember whenever we have it, only Mom eats it because it is her favorite food. I asked a vendor why it is expensive. She told me it can cure cancer. Ahhh, so they have heard about the cure :)

Anyway, here are helpful articles:




Kakao - the chocolate tree. It is no stranger to you for sure. Many times you probably have eaten chocolate with 80% kakao, chocolate drink from kakao...etc.

Here is how the fruit looks like. It grows anywhere among the branches of it's tree. It can even grow at the main stem. They are quite generous and bears fruit whole year round. Even a young kakao can bear fruit already. Like this one on the picture. That's my cousin's son. He is 3 years old and he's harvesting his home grown kakao :)

The inside looks like small sweet coated seeds. You may suck each seed until the coat is gone. It is sweet and some kinda like cottony. You dry the seeds under the sun and when they are dry enough, roast them in an open fire and grind them. The ground kakao becomes like a dough because of its fat. Yo may mash them with sugar. Like what my mom and I did. We made chocolate balls from homegrown kakao and I am bringing them to Russia :)

Here is the professional version of making chocolates out of them:



Here are some more fruits in the neighborhood :) 

Lime is grown by my Mom. We don't use it much because we have "kalamasi", it's like a very tiny lime and very sour. It also comes from the lemonoid family.

Mangoes when I made them picture just started bearing fruits but now they are in full bloom. Normally, each family has a mango tree in their yard. And if you don't have, you can claim the fruits of your neighbor's mango which hangs over you fence. Once inside your fence, it's yours :) You can buy a kilo of ripe yellow mangoes for $1.5 a kilo now in groceries. Filipinos like eating them green and sour than ripe and yellow. I don't know why but I'm one of those who do that :)

Jackfruit is not the stinky fruit but a "cousin" to it hehe. Here please take a closer look:


Star apple is one of my favorites as a kid. 


Pili is a very tall nut tree. Pili products are one of the most brought products by overseas Filipinos. It is a main product from my region since it only grows on that part of the country. Amazing eh, Agriculturists tried an experiment many times planting this tree on different parts of the Philippines but they never grew. 


pili products:


Chico is the fruit which always will remind me of my grandPa. I grew up with this tree. I have seen how he takes care of it and I have witnessed how much it bears fruit every year since I was a toddler. The tree still exist in his yard. We used to sit there under shade on a hot day afternoon. My duty was to water plants in his garden and water chico tree more :)

People with diabetes are advised to eat it. There are many cases of diabetes in my country and I guess it is just right to have a chico tree on every yard. 


I wish I made more pictures of summer fruits especially those ones which are not found in the other countries. We have tropical versions of berries. But they just start bearing fruits now as well as avocado. 

I will not be surprised if many of you are familiar with some of these fruits but I hope I was able to introduce to you at least one which you didn't hear of before :)

Have a Healthy Fruity Day!

12 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! XXX

    S.
    http://hipandchips.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohhh I wish I was there to eat all those yummi fruits, I love tropical fruits. Mango, passion fruit, ananas, kiwi, lyche are my favourites. You definitely showed me some new fruit like star apple, pili nut, guyabano, chico, jackfruit. also the info you gave about papaya and guyabano is news for me. And I had never seen a kakao fruit before. Thanks for this informative post. And enjoy some fruit for me too : ) Thanks a lot for your lovely comments, the car's brand is APE ( it means bee ), "ina" is something you add at the end words to make them smaller, in italian : ) Isn't it cute : ) Obviously it is not my car but I couldnt help posing in front of it as I find it very cute : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of a Guyabano tree. Thank you so much for informative blog. I enjoyed reading it along with your photos. You must be the piller of health young woman. Swimming, and eating all the lucious food you described. I am going to take some notes. I worked for Hospice several years, seen a lot of cancer, and it lies in my family as well. So far I am healthy, but I do not take care of myself as good as I could. You are so beautiful, I love following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I had no idea that all those fruits also grew in the Philippines. My mother is from El Salvador so there are a lot of tropical fruits that grow there as well. Kakao is very common in El Salvador and every year I get a big batch of Kakao sent to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very informative. I wish I could taste all those fruits, they look so delicious and different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love coming onto your blog and "seeing" through your photos. to me, that's what blogging is all about :) such a fascinating place, the phillipines!

    dorothy
    theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the thought of tropical fruits just makes my mouth water.
    It has been many, many years since I had a soursop. Or custard apple. Of a good jackfruit. Or mangosteen... My favourite tropical fruits are definitely mangoes and papayas :D

    Thank you for following my blog and saying hello! I really appreciate it :)
    Have a good summer in the Philippines!

    -Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all the useful facts and info! i'm a city boy, so in a lot of ways i'm quite naive about the origins of all these delicious foods...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blog dear....Now I'm your new follower...follow me back ;-)
    A big Kiss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great blog! it suddenly makes me feel nostalgic and miss all these fruits we have there in the Philippines. It's funny to think that it's only when we are away that we realize how much we take for granted such things that we grew up with, like these fruits that are so common there, but so expensive in other countries, even here in Sweden.
    You did a good job in presenting our local fruits. And your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an abundance! You are making me want to visit the Philippines really badly! I didn't know of the guyabano, star apple, pili nut or the jackfruit until today. Thank you so much for another informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these fruits, espeically star fruit. I used to eat them all when I lived in Palau and Micronesia. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...