Friday, June 29, 2012

Sailing on Volga River

Summer has definitely embraced the city and the people. Everybody is taking a holiday, going somewhere, travelling, swimming and tanning, etc...etc. I just came from a different part of earth so we're not planning for any long distance trip. We're just taking short trips and will be taking part in some activities somewhere around the city and its nearby towns.

I am actually very afraid of water rides. It's kinda ironic 'cause I grew up in a country with thousands of islands but I never felt any way comfortable riding a water vessel. Perhaps it is because I don't know how to swim which is another irony on my part considering the fact that I grew up very close to the sea. I guess there are few reasons, One is that I nearly got my whole family drown from my grandfather's boat. When I was maybe 11 or 12 years old, my mom, my grandpa, grandma and my 2 younger siblings went to some town to attend a feast day. We took the way through the sea since my grandpa has a boat with paddle by the way and in that way we will not be caught in the crowd of passengers in the land transport. I was enjoying the deep ocean view, seeing different fishes and how the colors of the water differ from every part of the ocean. There is this hole which allows water to drip down the boat when you're supposed to dock already. When you are on the water surface, it has to be covered so water wont get in. With my grandpas boat, the hole was merely plugged with a piece of coconut husk. Coconut husk seem to be good for it clogs the hole quite tightly. I accidentally kicked it off and suddenly water came solidly splashing right unto my face. Of course I just got distracted but I didn't do anything because I was shocked. My grandma started swearing (which is typical when she gets upset or rattled) and quickly took the coconut husk which was floating already by that time and plugged it back to the hole. Only then I realized that our boat was half way to sinking. The boat was half-filled with water, so we started throwing water back to the sea so we'll get lighter.  I don't remember feeling much fear that time. All I worried about was that I got so wet and that I got them half wet because of me.  There was no anger or panic from them either. I just remember that my grandma was swearing and saying that I was going to drown all of us. But she wasn't swearing on me, as I have said it was typical of her when she gets rattled or nervous. It was not a big deal if  I'm not mistaken, I didn't even heard them telling stories about it to our relatives when we got to our destination. When we were coming back, I was asked to sit at the back far from the hole plugged a coconut husk hehehe. Whenever I remember the situation, I feel afraid of what might have happened. I didn't feel a great fear but I cannot get it out of my mind till now. 

Another reason, I suspect is that I couldn't develop a trust and confidence in water vessels since many time in Philippines there a case of sinking ships with number of people drowning with it. It is due to sometimes bad weather or poor conditions of the ships. 

Before I took meteor, I was little nervous but Sham keeps telling me that it'll be okay cause sailing on river is different. There are no waves, current isn't strong especially in Volga river. It is wide and calm. I was sitting tight on my chair when we started moving and I am just looking at one direction outside the window trying to concentrate on feeling safe. Later I felt that everything was ok, I started mowing, walking and making pictures outside :) I saw that the river is calm and if the conditions of the boat is good, there seem to be nothing wrong. I kinda trusted the boat. 

So here is my first meteor ride on Volga river. 
Volga river is the largest in Europe in terms of length, discharge and watershed. It flows at the central Russia and is viewed as the National River.
The meteor. They call it Hydrofoil in English.
Other water vessels seen on Volga.

The beauty found on the shore.
Smaller towns, dachas, Mosques and Churches we've been passing by.

It was indeed a great experience. I love nature and seeing its beauty is for me a spice of life. :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow great post
    Hey thank you so much for following Carole's Chatter. I am now following you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! come by and lets fllw each other if you love to do dear:)
    miss-monaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would be able to take boatrides if something like this happened to me (I panic easily), but it's good that you weren't scared. This looks like a great river trip to take in the summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog. Hey thank you so much for following Carole's Chatter. I am now following you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never travelled on a river vessel, would love to try this. You took beautiful pictures and good to hear that you overcome your fear. Have a lovely week : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer does bring trips, many unexpected. Lol. We traveled to Memphis, Tennessee this past weekend and it would've been great had we experienced some sort of water ride in all of these excessive temps.

    I've never experienced a water ride (unless jet ski counts), but it's something I'm sure I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous. Looks amazing and WARM. It's cold in sydney now

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...