What if one tries to impose herself on you? What would you do?
We don't know each other well. She's new. We never had a chitchat yet. It was just her second week in the company.
She came up to me one day, showing me some papers and saying that I could use them, they're fun and that my clients might like them. I looked at them, she asked me if I had used them before. I said Yes. She continued with the other paper and asked again trying to explain what they are about. I said okay. She left them on my table.
I haven't intended to use them because I have already used one of them long time ago. The other one isn't really my thing plus I thought that it might fit other groups instead, not mine.
I didn't refuse nor did I promise to use them.
Two days later, I asked a staff to make copies of some materials to be handed to my group that day. She came back with a thick pile of stapled papers. I thought that she just made me a thousand copy more than I needed. But as I was distributing the copies, I've discovered those papers which were left on my table. The papers which the new staff was trying to "suggest" to me. What were they doing there? I do not know.
Oh I guess I actually know. The new G probably told the other G to make copies of those papers on my table and hand them to me together with the copies I asked for.
I was in a pleasant mood that day, I didn't freak out (I never do in public), my blood didn't raise to its boiling point. I just calmly separated them from my papers and left them in the room.
My point is: Why do some people insist on what they want and what they think is right without even thinking what others thoughts are. It is clear to me that she has decided to impose herself on me. I do care about things like this a lot! I don't like when others tell me what to do or makes decisions for me. If I didn't use those papers she gave me, it's because I had reasons. I don't just forget to do things. I do things according to plan and with a conscious intention. And in the first place, who gave her the right to do that? It isn't a part of her job for sure! Funny thing is, it is actually MY job to find and choose materials the rest of us in the company should use. Hers is to entertain clients and assist key players if needed. That's it - as simple as ABC. I don't understand why for some people it is difficult to understand and keep their feet on the shoes they've been given to wear.
I was just thinking, is it because she just doesn't understand things much? I wouldn't say she's stupid, she does her job quite well (so far) in fact comparing to the previous ones. Does she think she can manipulate others because she's fast? Is she trying to impress somebody? Or is it just me being a difficult person? I'm not trying to be bias just because it is me who's involved here. But I believe that it is simply in no way right to impose yourself on others. To suggest is one thing but to insist is another. Suggesting is when she came showing me those papers but insisting and imposition is when she made a decision to make copies of her materials ans send them to my room - so I'll have no choice but use them? That is mean! Did she really think I'd just fall for that?
If I'm kind and nice, it doesn't mean I'm stupid.
We don't know each other well. She's new. We never had a chitchat yet. It was just her second week in the company.
She came up to me one day, showing me some papers and saying that I could use them, they're fun and that my clients might like them. I looked at them, she asked me if I had used them before. I said Yes. She continued with the other paper and asked again trying to explain what they are about. I said okay. She left them on my table.
I haven't intended to use them because I have already used one of them long time ago. The other one isn't really my thing plus I thought that it might fit other groups instead, not mine.
I didn't refuse nor did I promise to use them.
Two days later, I asked a staff to make copies of some materials to be handed to my group that day. She came back with a thick pile of stapled papers. I thought that she just made me a thousand copy more than I needed. But as I was distributing the copies, I've discovered those papers which were left on my table. The papers which the new staff was trying to "suggest" to me. What were they doing there? I do not know.
Oh I guess I actually know. The new G probably told the other G to make copies of those papers on my table and hand them to me together with the copies I asked for.
I was in a pleasant mood that day, I didn't freak out (I never do in public), my blood didn't raise to its boiling point. I just calmly separated them from my papers and left them in the room.
My point is: Why do some people insist on what they want and what they think is right without even thinking what others thoughts are. It is clear to me that she has decided to impose herself on me. I do care about things like this a lot! I don't like when others tell me what to do or makes decisions for me. If I didn't use those papers she gave me, it's because I had reasons. I don't just forget to do things. I do things according to plan and with a conscious intention. And in the first place, who gave her the right to do that? It isn't a part of her job for sure! Funny thing is, it is actually MY job to find and choose materials the rest of us in the company should use. Hers is to entertain clients and assist key players if needed. That's it - as simple as ABC. I don't understand why for some people it is difficult to understand and keep their feet on the shoes they've been given to wear.
I was just thinking, is it because she just doesn't understand things much? I wouldn't say she's stupid, she does her job quite well (so far) in fact comparing to the previous ones. Does she think she can manipulate others because she's fast? Is she trying to impress somebody? Or is it just me being a difficult person? I'm not trying to be bias just because it is me who's involved here. But I believe that it is simply in no way right to impose yourself on others. To suggest is one thing but to insist is another. Suggesting is when she came showing me those papers but insisting and imposition is when she made a decision to make copies of her materials ans send them to my room - so I'll have no choice but use them? That is mean! Did she really think I'd just fall for that?
If I'm kind and nice, it doesn't mean I'm stupid.
Sometimes with people like that you just have to be really clear and explicitly say you make no promises to use her offered papers. Some people make all kinds of assumptions!
ReplyDelete