Friday, October 24, 2014

When fall and winter collide

You won't believe it. It's October and I was already walking on ice. My colleague broke her leg as she slipped with her high heeled boots on the staircase covered with ice. The janitor didn't come out early to remove snow because it was only light snow the night before. Everybody is still in the mood for fall. No one's expecting a black ice in October. I already saw car accident, cars at the middle of the road with drivers trying to restart their engines. Wintercoats flooded laundromats all of a sudden.

I had really terrible headache last night and I woke up with even more terrible feeling. I hate waking up with a bad headache. I went out anyway and at about midday, it disappeared. I was hungry the whole day, I went to bed hungry and woke up hungry. It's not that I didn't eat, I did but I just feel like I have cold, empty stomach. Probably body was adjusting to drastic weather changes. Now I feel fine, headache's gone, strange hunger's gone, and best of all no more dizzy head. Whew, it's such a big relief.

I noticed that -10 or 11 seems like a normal cold for me now. It is cold but I'm not scared of it and I don't feel worried that I might get frozen outside or suffer from hypothermia(lol). After experiencing -30 last year, -10 is very tolerable for ne now. My colleagues are warning me that according to weather prognosis, winter this year is going to be a "Russian winter". I asked them  if winters I experienced for the past 2 years are not yet Russian? They said it was too but now is more "Russian".  😉😯 Ok, I don't know if I should be excited or scared of that. Well, whatever it is, I just want to be safe on the road always, and I hope not to get sick.

Re: pictures:
Winter tires are all out in the shops now
It's -11 today
That's my hubby's feet on ice

10 comments:

  1. Well, I haven't experienced a Russian winter but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it, even though I suspect it can be quite beautiful. I don't like Michigan winters, either and would be quite happy to go from summer to fall to spring, with a sprinkling of snow at Christmas! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is to be honest very beautiful especially when there's frost. It's like a winter wonderland. But it's better to just look at it than feel it. I like white Christmas, there's some magical feeling. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I hate -30 weather. But it's better than -40! Always look on the bright side, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRRRRR! That's too cold for me! When you say "Russian winter" to me, I think of the images from the old movie "Doctor Zhivago." Lots of snow and frigid winds. I hope you have flannel sheets and lots of blankets on your bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, the winters I've experienced are much warmer than from what was described at "Dr.Zhivago", (tho for me it's the same). But this year's gonna be a truly harse one.

      I've got warm blankets plus the central heating is strong enough to keep houses warm. So, I'm fine (inside). Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm not quite sure where you are located (Russia?), but your climate seems much like mine at high altitude in CO. Sometimes a change in barometric pressure (extreme weather change) can cause a headache. Keep well, take some Vit C, and keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm in southwest (eastern European side) of Russia. Weather is harsh, I have a feeling that it slowly deteriorates my health, or maybe it's just me getting older :) I've never had so much headache as here. My biggest woe is magnetic storm.

      Yes I will, thanks.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize you live in Russia. The weather is quite a bit different from your home in the Philippines, isn't it! I live in a very cold climate, too, in Minnesota, US, but we have had the most sunny, warm October I remember. I love it and just can't stay in the house doing anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very different. It's my third year here and is still tryibg to get used to the weather. Wow warm sunny October I guess won't happen here.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...