Thursday, May 14, 2015

Eternal Memory, Eternal Flame

From the Victory Park we headed to another war memorial which was close to the cemetery.
Along the way are posters about the commemmoration. Posters are usually sponsored by the shops or offices.
This sculpture of a man getting up after having fallen is huge. 
It is a massive construction and I was so impressed when I first saw it. Two years ago they actually moved it a little behind the street closer to the park. I wish I saw how they did it.
Together with it is gigantic stella and if I  try to put both in one picture, this is how far should I  stand to take a shot.
Below the stele is an eternal flame. People who live in this district brought flowers and had the same ceremony as in the Victory park. 
Amongst the flowers are sometimes cute little cards made by children.
The card says:
"Thank you for protecting our motherland.
Katya (that's her name)
Thank you for the peaceful sky".
Another card with cut out little flowers and a dove. Sometimes kids make you think even deeper.
While we were standing there, 2 small boys of age maybe 8 & 9 were talking. The younger one said "dedushkas and babushkas (grandfathers & grandmothers) are there (I don't know where "there") they are gone". And the older one answered "Yes, and only tanks & planes (referring to the tanks & planes in the victory park) are left"
Indeed they are gone. 
My family in the Philippines also participated in that war. 2 of my grandfathers were members of guerilla, an extensive Philippine resistance against Japanese forces. Philippines was fighting side by side with Americans in Asia.
We have war memorials too but I guess we remember them on Heroes Day together with all other considered heroes.


8 comments:

  1. What a great post. Thanks for sharing this with us. That sculpture of the man is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful to see such acts of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad was stationed in India -- or maybe the part of India that is now Pakistan. So many fought in this series of conflicts lumped into a World War. All deserve memory and praise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Russian people suffered greatly and so have much sadness to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post. Let us never forget the sacrificed if those who fought for others to be free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Victory Day posts are a beautiful tribute. The fallen man statue is incredible. I hope your paperwork will soon be approved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A powerful and heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful colors in your photos and the sculpture with all the flowers is very moving. My dad was in the Philippines during WWII fighting the Japanese.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...